- This page is for Dark Danny, the evil future version of Danny. For other uses, see Danny Phantom (disambiguation).
|"Nice try, Jazz. But me, my future - I'm inevitable."|
Dark Danny, also known as Dan Phantom, is the evil future version of Danny Phantom from an alternate timeline. He is the main antagonist of "The Ultimate Enemy" and is Danny's most powerful, evil, hated, and dangerous foe.
In the original timeline, before Clockwork's intervention, Danny used his powers to steal the answers to the Career Aptitude Test. Suspicious of Danny, Mr. Lancer called the Fentons to the Nasty Burger for a meeting. Unfortunately, the Nasty Burger's vat of Nasty Sauce exploded just at that time, killing Danny's family, his friends Sam and Tucker, and Mr. Lancer. As a result, the grief-stricken boy was forced to move in with his archenemy Vlad Masters, as he was the only person left who Danny felt could possibly understand his situation.
Despite the history of animosity between the two, Vlad treated Danny with a great deal of sympathy. Completely taken over by grief, Danny asked Vlad to separate his human-half from his ghost-half so he wouldn't have to deal with his human emotions anymore. Vlad obliged him, using the Ghost Gauntlets to separate Danny's ghost half from his human half.
The separated Danny Phantom, now free of the conscience of his human half, was also filled with all of Danny's anger and negativity. Immediately it overcame Vlad and took the Ghost Gauntlets. He removed Vlad's ghost half and attempted to overshadow it but it backfired and he merged with it, but was overwhelmed by the evil in Vlad Plasmius. This resulted in the birth of Dark Danny, the most powerful and evil ghost to ever exist. His first act of malice was to murder his human half and destroy Vlad's entire mansion, though he left Vlad alive to tell the tale of his beginning.
Decade of destruction
For the next ten years, Dark Danny committed numerous atrocities against both Earth and the Ghost Zone, culminating in the near-complete desolation of Amity Park and the destruction of many ghosts. At some point he crossed paths with one of his most powerful enemies the Fright Knight, who the latter began to serve him. The Observants ordered Clockwork to kill Danny in the past to prevent Dan's rise.
Dispatching various ghosts from the future, Clockwork set in motion a series of events that led young Danny to eventually come to the future, where he encountered his dark older self. They fought, but Dan easily won, trapping Danny in the future while Dan went to the past to murder the Fentons, Sam, Tucker, and Lancer, in an an effort to preserve his existence.
Back to the past
Dan then disguised himself as fourteen-year-old Danny Fenton and traveled to the past via one of Sam's and Tucker's time medallions to ensure his future by cheating on the C.A.T. Jazz found him with the C.A.T. answers and alerted Mr. Lancer, who called his parents over to the Nasty Burger for a discussion.
Sam and Tucker came as well to warn them of the impending explosion, and Jazz, using the Fenton Ghost Peeler, exposed Dan to all of them.
Dark Danny mocked his parents for failing to notice that their son was half-ghost and noted Jazz was the only one to notice. He then tied them all to the Nasty Sauce vat with ectoplasmic goo just as it was about to blow.
Just then, Danny returned from the future and saw what his future self was up to, and they battled. Even with the aid of the Specter Deflector and the Ghost Gauntlets, Dan still proved too much for Danny but did not kill him as his own existence was at stake. Dan mocked Danny for being powerless against him and promising to protect his friends and family.
Refusing to let down his friends and family, Danny unleashed his new Ghostly Wail. Dan was shocked, as he himself didn't develop that power for another ten years. Danny took advantage of Dan's surprise to unleash another Ghostly Wail, weakening Dan enough for Danny to trap him in the Fenton Thermos.
Existing outside of time
Clockwork took the thermos containing Dark Danny and sealed it within his lair. Now that the events leading to Dan had been averted, Dark Danny now exists outside of time and as such is Clockwork's responsibility as stated by the Observants.
At the end, Dark Danny is seen attacking the thermos from the inside, attempting to break free. Since he was laughing it possible he planned it so that next time he will kill Danny for good.
Young Dark Danny has snow-white hair that blazes into a fire, glowing red eyes with dark lines around them and light turquoise skin. He has pointed ears and fangs. His outfit is the same as Danny's: a black jumpsuit with white boots, collar, belt and gloves, with his logo, a white "D" with a black "P" inside it, on his chest.
Older Dark Danny is taller and much more bulky and muscular than his younger self.
He has snow-white flaming hair with a ponytail, light turquoise skin and red eyes with dark lines around them. He has pointed ears, fangs and a goatee. He wears a black jumpsuit with a gray trim, a white belt, black gloves, white boots and his logo on his chest, which is unchanged. He wears a cape which is white on the outside and black on the inside.
Unlike most of Danny Phantom's enemies who have, to some degree, a moral conscience, Dan possesses no such trait. He is outright wrathful, cruel, remorseless, and more than willing to kill even the people he once cared about just so he can continue his existence.
Due to possessing no humanity whatsoever, Dan can accurately be described as a psychopath.
He enjoys manipulating his friends and family in the past, toying with his younger self by fusing a time medallion to him to anchor him to the future, and reveling in the emotional shock he causes his entire family by revealing his past self's secret identity to his parents. Dan even goes so far as to pridefully point out how he purged his humanity long ago. Combined with his destructive tendencies, implied enormous body count, and his willingness to murder his own family in the past to ensure his continued existence in his present, Dan is an absolute monster, showing that he is willing to go to any lengths to preserve himself as he is. To make things worse, he is also shown to have a psychotic and unnerving sense of humor, joking and taunting whenever he so feels like.
He is also notably arrogant, as he condescendingly remarks upon his younger self's charge before taking down him down in the future with a sense of dissatisfaction on the lack of effort on his part. Despite that, he was aware that he could not destroy Danny because that would erase him so he instead battered him to a point where he couldn't intervene. Though this was before time was averted and he can exist without Danny changing into him.
Despite his lack of humanity, he is somewhat shown to have some lingering memories of his past that he shows some fondness towards, such as Tucker's sense of humor.
He is also capable of showing fear, as he was horrified at seeing his younger self using Ghostly Wail, a power that took Dan a decade to master.
Danny Fenton/Danny Phantom (younger self)
Dan was created from Danny's ghost half. After being merged with Vlad's ghost half, Dan killed his human half and went on to his ten years of destruction. Dark Danny encountered his younger self when Danny entered his time period from the past through Clockwork's intervention.
Disgusted towards the person he once was, he viewed his younger self as pathetically weak, forcing himself to keep his younger self alive only to ensure his own existence.
In their final battle, his views towards Danny completely changed when Danny used the Ghostly Wail, which Dan himself didn't learn for another ten years. Dan began to genuinely fear his younger self as his counterpart used this power to defeat him and trap him. Now that he exist outside of time and Danny changing the future, there will be nothing preventing him from trying to eliminate Danny since they no longer have a life link.
It was through Vlad's actions that Dark Danny came into existence. Dark Danny's first act of destruction was to destroy Vlad's manor. Now, Vlad, the former prideful billionaire, lives in reclusive grief and misery, guilty over his past misdeeds and selfishness. Dark Danny greatly dislikes and looks down on Vlad as a threat, seeing him as an "idiot cheesehead archenemy" who he plans on getting rid of after finding and destroying his ghost portal.
Friends and family
Dan's former parents Jack and Maddie Fenton were among the people he attempted to kill so his future would come to pass. He thinks of them as stupid and incompetent, ridiculing them for not even noticing the similarities between Danny Fenton and Danny Phantom. His sister Jazz and former best friends Sam, Tucker and Valerie no longer matter to him. He merely sees them as people whom he must kill to ensure his own future. Valerie is a prominent defender of the future Amity Park against Dan and other ghosts, keeping a vigilant watch over the city. Dan finds her deplorable. Valerie was able to fend off Dan for ten years, until he learned the Ghostly Wail.
However, he did admit that he missed Tucker's comedic moments and was surprised that Jazz had always knew his secret.
Mr. Lancer was his least favorite teacher. He was also one of the people killed in The Nasty Burger explosion alongside with Danny's family and friends. His tombstone only reads "GONE" instead of "GONE, but not forgotten", though the base of the tombstone seems to be embedded into the ground. He seem to have great pleasure in killing him since Mr. Lancer wasn't the fair and forgiving type in the past.
The Fright Knight claims Dan as his new master, obeying his every command.
Dan mentions Clockwork "meddling again" when he sees Sam's and Tucker's time medallions, implying they may have previously encountered each other before the events of "The Ultimate Enemy."
At the end of the episode, Dan is left in the Fenton Thermos in Clockwork's lair and the Observants place him under his watch since he now exists outside of time.
Dan did not halt his trail of destruction on the real world but the Ghost Zone as well as many ghosts bared a grudge against him for ruining them. Dan's actions were taking Box Ghost's eye and arm and been using him as a punching bag to the extremes as the once pathetic ghost was seen with a hook for his right hand and an eye patch covering his left eye. Due to his personality change, Box Ghost has gotten stronger and wants his revenge on Danny. He even severely injuring Johnny 13 to the point he needed a wheelchair, and ruining Ember's vocal cords. Dan seriously hurt both Skulker and Technus in the last ten years. Since Skulker used machinery for fighting and to hide his true form and Technus used machinery for strength, they figured if they combined they could become more powerful against Dan and became Skulktech 9.9. The future ghosts were planning an attack on him but settled on destroying his past self to erase him but their efforts were foiled. It's unknown if Dan did this out of sadism, or out of spite for all the trouble they caused him when he used to be a hero.
Powers, abilities, & equipment
Powers & abilities
As Dark Danny is a fusion of Danny's and Vlad's ghost halves, he is a full ghost and has all of Danny's and Vlad's powers, as well as completely new abilities that he devised on his own. He is more powerful than Vortex, Undergrowth, Nocturn, Freakshow (with the Reality Gauntlet), and Pariah Dark (with the Ring of Rage and the Crown of Fire on), without help or the aid of a weapon, which mighty explain why the Fright Knight serves him.
- High Intelligence/Master Strategist: Like Vlad, he is very cunning and devious. If Clockwork hadn't interfere, he would have succeeded in making Danny turn into him. It is possible that Dan planned to exist outside of time by fusing the time medallion into his body if he lost, to pave the way for his revenge. He also display to be great in manipulating his family, friends, and teacher into thinking he was the real Danny until Jazz exposed him in front of them at the Nasty Burger.
- Ghost Sense: Like his younger counterpart, Dark Danny can sense nearby ghosts and half-ghosts, though his ghost sense is red instead of blue. When his ghost sense is activated, red wisps of mist come out from his nose. The reason why he still has this power is that the ghost sense was originally a power that only Danny possessed and kept that power after melding with Vlad.
- Overshadowing, Intangibility, Invisibility, & Flight: Standard ghost powers. He can fly faster than Danny and Vlad. During his last fight with Valerie, he was able to make a sudden dash of speed that can take his enemy unguarded. Dan's invisible duplicate can turn intangible to move through solid objects, but anti-ghost weapons can hurt him while intangible. He can also overshadow a human or ghost fusing with them as he did with Vlad becoming Dark Danny. When he spotted Jazz during the C.A.T., he created an invisible duplicate to take care of her. He is shown to overshadow and fuse with them as well, like after he split Masters and Plasmuis he fused with Vlad Plasmuis which resulted in the creation of Dark Danny.
- Intangibility Fusion: Dark Danny can fuse an object inside someone in order to make it unreachable and untouchable, such as when he fused one of Clockwork's medallions into Danny.
- Pyrokinesis: He can create powerful torrents of green ghost fire that can break through the ground. Furthermore, his hair is made of white, ghostly flames that can ignite flammable objects. It is possible that he controls whether his ponytail is stationary or flaming, as it is sometimes motionless like normal hair.
- Supernatural strength: He is far stronger than Danny or Vlad. He was able to sweep aside a person who had trained against him for years with a single punch, as well as easily lift and throw army tanks, which each weigh around 70 to 80 tons or more. He is the only ghost who is strong enough to rip off the specter deflector, which normally harms ghosts and needs a key to unlock.
- Supernatural durability: Dark Danny is more resistant to injuries or damage than an ordinary human or ghost. He can withstand a variety of great impacts without taking any damage, such energy blasts, oil truck explosions and multi-story buildings crumbling down at ground zero (while weakened by the Specter Deflector), Skulktech's Phantom Palm Pummeler or any other ghost weakening technology or power, two of Danny's Ghostly Wails. He is possibly immune to blood blossoms or ecto-ranium since he the most powerful ghost on the planet.
- Healing factor: As with his younger counterpart, he can heal from even life-threatening wounds, and is able to survive and withstand any injury that befalls him. Dan has been seen healing in tough battles with Valerie.
- Supernatural Stamina, Speed, Agility, & Reflexes:: Dan's ghostly physiology allows him to be more faster, agile, and has greater reflexes than Danny and Vlad. He can also produces almost no fatigue toxins during physical activity. As he is a full ghost, he can physically exert himself at peak capacity longer than his young counterpart, possibly even for days, before fatigue begins to impair him. This allows him to fight longer in a battle.
- Ecto-energy powers
- Ecto-Storms Creation: Before his final battle with Danny, Dan created some kind of storm in the background.
- Ghost Ray: His blasts are composed of green and white ectoplasm. Even without using his full power, Dan can blow apart a good portion of a multi-story building. He can fire ghost rays in the form of powerful sliding waves of ecto-energy capable of knocking Valerie several feet away.
- Ghost Stinger: Dan used this electric attack to instantly drain Danny of his power, forcing him to turn back to his human form. He may also use it to knock out normal humans like he does with Jazz.
- Energy Strike: He can channel his ghost energy into his fist for a powerful blow.
- Ecto-Energy Constructions: Dark Danny has formed objects such as binds and ropes out of ecto-energy. He create Exto-Energy Rope to bind Danny and another one during their final battle. He shot ectoplasmic goo from his fingertips in order to bind his foes and gag people; like his family and friends so they can't scream.
- Ghostly Wail: Dan can generate an extremely powerful sonic scream, with a moaning ghost-like sound. This power is so strong that it cause terrible pain to ghosts and damage tangible matter, caused an earthquake and devastated all of Amity Park while destroyed the future ghost shield protecting the future Amity Park, which had withstood all his other powerful attacks until then, with just one use of his Ghostly Wail. He used it the second time to blow away a whole army of tanks by overturning tanks and cars, blowing away helicopters, crumbling buildings and shattering glass with this power. He later uses it against Sam and Tucker, but they escape by using Clockwork's time medallions to return to their time. This is Dan's most powerful attack, and use it more than once without losing energy.This power took ten years for Dark Danny to develop.
- Telekinesis: Visible in the form of green energy emanating from his hands and surrounding the subject of the telekinesis. He can use his telekinesis to render his enemies immobile.
- Ghost Portal Creation: He can create portals between Earth and the Ghost Zone by merely waving his hand. He can travel between the two worlds or to get rid of his foe by restricting their movements and tossing them inside, closing the portal behind them.
- Technopathy: He managed to hijack future Valerie's communicator frequency, when she was inside a ghost shield and he was outside of it.
- Chronolock: Just like the Observants said, Dark Danny exists outside of time, therefore if time should stop then he would not be affected. After his defeat by his younger self Danny Phantom, he became a temporal anomaly that existed outside of time. He possibly fused the Time Medallion into him like he did to his younger self.
- Time travel: With the Time Medallion, Dan is able to move through time and space into the past or future. He travel back in time to secured his future but if he took off the medallion he would be sent back to his erased timeline.
- Spectral Body Manipulation: Dark Danny can easily stretch his body or create holes in it, as well as turn his head around 180 degrees. Dan can also momentarily become an ectoplasmic vapor to pass through objects that could harm him even when intangible (such as Valerie's ghost hunting gear).
- Duplication: Dan can easily create several duplicates of himself. These doubles can be invisible when made. He is possibly almost as skilled as Vlad is with this power, as he often uses his proficiency in duplication as a powerful advantage against an enemy.
- Shapeshifting: Dark Danny can assume the appearance of his former human self, as a disguise, despite no longer being a half-ghost. It is unknown if he can take any other form or not, along with gaining some powers.
- Voice Manipulation: Dark Danny can alter his voice to sound like Danny.
- Ghost Shield: A power that both Vlad and Danny share. Since he never used this power in the movie it is unknown how strong it is in comparison with those of Danny and Vlad's.
- Teleportation: Vlad and Danny share this power, so he must be able to do so.
- Power Augmentation: Vlad and Danny are able to momentously increase their physical strength, therefore he must have this ability.
- Repulsion Field: A unique power that only young Danny possesses, which allows him to expel energy from all his body in all directions.
- Ecto-Tornado: A power unique to Plasmius that allows him to create an giant tornado out of ecto-energy, and possibly a power that he got from Vlad's ghost half.
- Clockwork's Medallion: Dan used one of Clockwork's Time Medallions to travel through time to make sure nothing changes his past. With the medallion he can get where and when he needs to be. Since he didn't get rid of it, he might still possess it, thus having immunity to Clockwork's powers.
- Fenton Thermos: Because of being a full ghost, Dark Danny is susceptible to the device and was easily sucked in by his younger counterpart Danny in weakened state. However, he was seen trying to burst out of it, implying it may not be able to hold him forever. It should be noted that if he was at full strength he wouldn't have been easily suck in.
- Dependence on present-time Danny (formerly): Even though Danny was Dark Danny's greatest threat, Dark Danny had to ensure Danny's survival, otherwise Dark Danny would disappear. Because of this, Dark Danny could not outright kill Danny. Now that Dark Danny exists out of his timeline, this weakness presumably no longer affects him.
- 208. "The Ultimate Enemy"
Most of the 10 years later versions of Dark Danny take into account his 10 years spent in the Fenton Thermos and the effects it has had on him.
The first version is a shadowy version of Dark Danny. After his 10 years in the Fenton Thermos, he "has gone off the deep end and become the ultimate dark ghost." He is darker, more dangerous, and has gone crazy during his time in the thermos. His personality/demeanor has become all that is dark, and his appearance reflects him in that he is a shadow of his former self. It is possible that the Dark Danny seen in the drawing is an actual shadow. He possibly developed the ability to split himself into multiple shadows, not dissimilar to Johnny 13's Shadow, only 200 times more powerful.
This version is a Dark Danny combined with Thanos. Hartman said that he was inspired to draw this version after watching the trailer for Infinity War. This version of Dark Danny has many of Thanos' traits, such as his bulky form, large chin, and angry eyes. In this version he has no pupils, making his eyes pure white.
The third version of 10 years later Dark Danny shows him as his original character design merged with the Fenton Thermos he had be trapped in. The reason he has become part-machine is because he escaped the thermos by merging with it, rather than fleeing its confines. This version is described as part machine, part ghost, part electronic, and part plasma. In essence, his ghostly plasma merged with the Fenton Thermos, allowing him to become this combined form which is no longer trapped. He is "Electronic plasma power to the max." This version is similar to Cyborg from the Justice League, and reminiscent of Technus, too.
The fourth and final version is similar to the first version, in that he is pure darkness, evil, and insane. His 10 years trapped in the Fenton Thermos drove him insane. His character design is mostly dark, with only his gloves and face white, akin to The Joker. He lost his pupils making his eyes pure white, which adds to the terrifying look of the character.
- "That was me. And you, eventually."
- "Of course you will. It's only a matter of time."
- "Actually, nobody's going anywhere. Not until it's time for you to be blown everywhere."
- "Me, my future, I'm inevitable."
- "I'm still here. I still exist. That means you still turn into me."
- During development of "The Ultimate Enemy", Butch Hartman had come up with the idea for what became "The Ultimate Enemy" as a movie involving time travel and ghost battles. He realized the best enemy for Danny to fight would be the worst enemy for any teenager - their own future self. Thus, Dan Phantom was created.
- Dark Danny had been intended to return after "The Ultimate Enemy"; however, due to Danny Phantom's cancellation, this never occurred.
- Dark Danny was not revealed in any of the Nickelodeon advertisements for "The Ultimate Enemy," possibly for the sake of the shock factor of Danny's own future self being his worst enemy.
- It was stated that if the series had not been cancelled and Clockwork's voice actor, David Carradine, had not passed away, Dark Danny would have indeed returned. It is possible that he would have been the final villain or at least retained his status as Danny's biggest threat.
- It is known that if Steve Marmel had stayed with the show for season 3, Dark Danny would have returned.
- According to Clockwork, Dark Danny has committed at least two thousand evil acts.
- "Dark Danny" appears as an unlockable costume for Danny in Nicktoons: Attack of the Toybots. This costume gives Danny Dan's blue skin, fangs, wispy hair, and costume design.
- Dark Danny is one of the few ghosts who does not make a cameo turning Earth intangible in "Phantom Planet".
- Technically speaking, Dark Danny is not the future version of Danny. He's an older version of Danny's ghost side which is transformed into pure evil after being separated from his human half.
- It is unknown why Dark Danny's ghost sense is red, rather than blue. There are a few fan speculations for this change:
- It could possibly be due to his evil/opposite nature.
- It could be because a heat core replaced Danny's ice core, giving it a red color.
Click here to view the gallery.