|“||4, 6, 8 who do we appreciate? Us, us, aaaah, run, run for our lives!||”|
Duplication is the ability to make duplicates of one's body or parts of one's body, or even the objects they hold. It is a difficult power to master but proves extremely useful. It appears to be a sub-power of Ecto-Energy Constructions.
The user makes identical tangible and self-thinking copies of themselves that gain all the characteristics, powers, and memories of them, and they all share one mind. The user can reabsorb their duplicates when they are not needed. If a duplicate sustains too much damage, its body typically dissipates and the original is unharmed. Some users can partially duplicate their body parts and may also duplicate the object they are holding. It also shown that a half-ghost can create a duplicate that is either human or ghost. They can transforming back into their human form while forming a ghost duplicate of themselves. Skilled users like Vlad and Dark Danny, can create duplicates while being invisible. The former is evident in the episode "Identity Crisis" when Danny tries to duplicate himself, but ends up forming a drastically mutated version of himself due to his inexperience with the power. However, mutation in the user's human body may result (albeit temporarily), when the duplicates are conjoined and the user reverts to human form in that state. This was evident in the episode "Maternal Instinct" when Danny tried the power for the first time ended up having two heads but reverted to his human form at that state upon hearing his mother's footsteps, causing him to become one-eyed until Tucker slapped the back of his head, returning Danny to normal. This also explains why Danny never reverts to his human self whenever conjoined from then on (until he mastered the power).
The main/common downside to this ability is that for each duplicate they make, the user's power is proportionately divided. As shown in Reign Storm when Danny was battling Pariah Dark after he duplicated, each of his duplicates had 25% of his power and in Eye for an Eye Danny easily defeating the weakened Vlad after he made hundreds of duplicates.
- Outnumbering: The user can outnumber his or her enemies simply by making more duplicates.
- Misdirection: The user can have a duplicate distract the enemy while the user escapes. Vlad has used this technique several times. A good example was when Vlad was escaping from Pariah Dark when he stole his Ring of Rage. Another example is when he tricked many people including Valerie into thinking Masters and Plasmius are separate people.
- Duplication Absorption: The user can absorb their duplicates back into themselves, and use this in various ways, gaining some form of advantage, either by enhancing themselves, gaining the drained power, using it as a power source, etc., either temporarily or permanently. Usually, this involves absorbing the memories, skills, and experiences of the duplicate. They can also use merging as a form of healing by absorbing an uninjured copy.
- In episodes like The Million Dollar Ghost and Torrent of Terror, it is shown that if the clones are pushed back against each other with enough force, the duplicates will merge back with the user becoming one again. An example is when the Behemoth slammed Vlad clones into each other, they were merged back into the original Vlad. This was also shown with Danny when he finally mastered it but Vortex used his super breath to blow his clones back into him.
- The principles behind duplication is never touched upon in the series before its cancellation. Duplication is achieved either by physically splitting (like a single-celled organism) into a certain number of copies of oneself, (which suggests that a ghosts capacity to duplicate is an extension of their ability to manipulate their own ecto-physical mass), or by generating sophisticated Ecto-Energy Constructions to serve as duplicates, (or by a combination of both, some other unknown means, or it may simply be by different means for different ghosts). Either way, a ghost can chose to re-assimilate/re-absorb their duplicates when they are not needed or whenever necessary.