- "Casper" in Casper High School is a reference to Casper the Friendly Ghost.
- "Amity" in Amity Park is a reference to the 1977 book The Amityville Horror.
- Jack Fenton's name is a reference to Jack Torrance, who also had a son named Daniel, from the 1977 novel and 1980 film The Shining.
- Maddie Fenton's name and facial hair may reference the titular character of the Madeline book series created by Ludwig Bemelmans.
- Tucker's name comes from the last names of actor Chris Tucker and Axel Foley, Eddie Murphy's character from Beverly Hills Cop.
- Vlad's real surname, Masters, may be derived from the protagonist of the Canadian short story The Man with a Thousand Names (written by A. E. van Vogt), a 23-year old spoiled man named Steven Masters whose father is the richest man in the world.
- Danny's ghost sense is a reference to "Spider-Sense," a reflexive power of the Marvel superhero Spider-Man that allows him to sense approaching danger.
- Several stores in the Amity Park Mall are allusions to real-world stores and restaurants:
- Abyss is a parody of Gap.
- Burger Land is a parody of Burger King.
- Pizza House is a parody of Pizza Hut.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.