|"And perhaps it's time to remind you...who rules this place."|
|— Pariah Dark, "Reign Storm"|
Pariah Dark, otherwise recognized as The Ghost King, is the tyrannical king of all ghosts and the supreme ruler of the Ghost Zone, reputed to be the most fearsome and horrid of specters. He made his debut as the main antagonist of the episode “Reign Storm.”
Long before all the other ghosts in the Ghost Zone were even spawned, a powerful and dangerous ghost named Pariah Dark ruled the Ghost Zone with an iron fist. He held in his possession the Ring of Rage and the Crown of Fire, which granted him nearly limitless power and the command of his loyal servant the Fright Knight and his army of skeletal ghosts.
Eventually, a group of powerful ancient ghosts banded together to defeat the Ghost King by sealing away the Ring of Rage and Crown of Fire, as well as banishing the Fright Knight. These ancient ghosts imprisoned Pariah himself in the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep and destroyed his evil kingdom, leaving behind only his castle where they hoped he would sleep forever.
Vlad Plasmius went to Pariah's castle to get his ring and crown. He used the Skeleton Key opened the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep to get the Crown of Fire, but Pariah awakened and attacked him. Vlad escaped with the Ring of Rage. Pariah summoned his army and the Fright Knight to go to Amity Park in search of the ring. Pariah then transported the entire city of Amity Park into the Ghost Zone.
Pariah Dark was too powerful for Danny to defeat on his own, so Danny enlisted the help of his Ghost Zone allies (whom Pariah had kicked out, claiming the Ghost Zone entirely for himself) and took his father's ecto-skeleton suit. Together, they managed to remove Pariah's crown, taking away his powers. Vlad used the Skeleton Key to lock Pariah back into the sarcophagus, returning everything to normal.
Pariah was mentioned in a few episodes but never made a true reappearance. Danny uses him as an excuse for being late in "Kindred Spirits." In "Infinite Realms," Frostbite and his people respect Danny for defeating Pariah Dark.
Pariah briefly appears as one of the many ghosts that attack Danny in the Ghost Zone in "Phantom Planet," even though he was supposedly still sealed away in the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep. This may have been because Danny possibly freed him or due to an animation or production error.
Pariah Dark is a large, well-built ghost. He has a white face with a red outline, long green hair, and a braided green beard. He has green eyes, with a black scar on his right eye and a black eye patch over his left eye. Pariah has two gray horns on the sides of his head, the left of which is broken in half. When in possession of them, he wears the Ring of Rage and the Crown of Fire.
Pariah's outfit consists of black full-body armor, with gray shoulder guards and boots. He also wears gray gauntlets with green spikes on the cuffs and knuckles. He wears a green belt, which has a metallic circular buckle with a green center and a gray cloth hanging down from it. His sword is fastened to his belt, and he has a green shoulder strap that crosses over his right shoulder. Pariah also wears a cape, which is black on the outside and red on the inside, and is fastened to his armor by two green skulls.
Because he was once the king of all ghosts, Pariah has a commanding force, expecting others to heed his word or perish. Ruthless, strict, and malevolent, he'll force his armies on other places in order to get what he wants without a second thought. He seems to enjoy the power and gaining as much influence as possible. He cannot tolerate those who oppose him. He also appears to enjoy combat. He displays an interesting view of power, as when he fought Danny, augmented by his suit, he remarks that wielding that much power is a burden. This is hinted at even more as he was stated to be the only one who could handle the power of the Ring and Crown.
When he is imprisoned in the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep, however, everything turns back to normal. Pariah Dark is also very arrogant, often underestimating his enemies. However Pariah, like most ghost is capable of showing honor and redeeming qualities as he and a thousand other ghost (except for Dark Danny) help Danny saved the earth.
Powers and Abilities
Pariah Dark is stated to be one of the most powerful ghosts in existence. Even his basic ghost powers are at levels above other ghosts. While in the time he ruled he had both the the Crown of Fire and the Ring of Rage, which was stated by Skulker that if he wore both he could do anything.
- Intangibility, Invisibility, Flight, and Overshadowing: Standard ghost powers.
- Ghost Ray: Pariah Dark ghost rays is presumably strong enough to destroy Vlad’s ghost shields off screen (something Danny could never do) when he also destroyed the upper part of his castle. Even without his full power, they were strong enough to knock out both Danny and Vlad at the same time and cause both of them to turn back into their human forms.
- Supernatural Speed: He can move and fly at incredibly fast speeds.
- Supernatural Strength: He was able to hold both Danny and Vlad in one grip and drain 60% of the energy of Danny’s Ecto-Skeleton, which made Danny 100 times more powerful, in one hit.
- Supernatural Endurance: He was able to take three of Danny’s Ecto-Skeleton-enhanced ghost rays at the same time and showed only minimal discomfort.
- Immortality: He has survived for thousands of years, with no debilitating side-effects inside the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep for centuries.
- Supernatural Stamina: He survived for thousands of years, with no debilitating side effects, inside the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep. This ability also allows him to handle the power contained within the Ring of Rage and Crown of Fire.
- Teleportation: He teleported the entire city of Amity Park to the Ghost Zone, though this could be a power of the Soul Shredder. When Pariath was defeated it returned everything back to normal.
- Summoning: Pariah can summon a huge ghost skeleton army that obeys all his commands. He uses to gain control over the Ghost Zone. The number of his army seems to be unlimited.
- Voice Projection: He can project an image of himself over an area to watch over it. He used this power to view Amity Park while he was in his castle.
- Spectral Body Manipulation: He has a ghost tail at times.
- Size Alteration: He can vary his size to appear larger than normal. He used this multiple times during Region Storm.
- Telekinesis: He seems to have a form of telekinetic power, as shown when his thrown mace misses Danny, but then turns back and hits him on its own.
- Pyrokinesis (Apparently): when Pariah had the Ring of Rage and the Crown of Fire, he was able to light the ground beneath his feet on fire with each step.
- High Ghost Knowledge: Because Pariah is an ancient ghost, he has high knowledge of ghosts and their abilities and powers. He knew almost immediately when meeting with Vlad's clone that it was a duplicate, and during his conversations with Vlad and Danny, he appeared to intuitively know that they weren't regular ghosts.
- Without the Crown of Fire and Ring of Rage, Pariah is still powerful but much more vulnerable to enemy attacks and defeat.
- Standard Ghost Weaknesses: As a ghost, Pariah is presumably vulnerable to Blood Blossoms, Ecto-radium, and Anti-Ghost weapons.
- Ring of Rage and Crown of Fire : In order to reach his maximum power, he must have the Ring of Rage and the Crown of Fire. Even without these artifacts, Pariah's power instilled fear in all the ghosts of the Ghost Zone, and he could easily defeat Danny and Vlad at the same time without them. The Ring of Rage and Crown of Fire can only be worn by powerful ghosts as most could not handle it. The only other character that could possibly rival or surpass his raw power is Dark Danny which is taken into consideration that the Fright Knight serves Dark Danny, it is possible that he is the only one to beat Pariah without help or the aid of a weapon, when the lateral is wearing his ring and crown.
- Mace: He wields a mace that he can fire ghost rays from. If he loses his mace, he can have it telekinetically return to him.
- Sword: He has a sword at his belt, though he was never shown using it.
- In an interview, creator Butch Hartman said that Pariah Dark's character was inspired by the DC Comics villain Darkseid.
- Physically, Pariah Dark seems to incorporate elements of Odin from Norse mythology. In particular, he has an eye patch and one of his horns is damaged.
- During the ad campaign leading up to the premiere of "Reign Storm," Pariah Dark was referred to solely as "Reign."
- Pariah Dark is one of Danny's few enemies whom he has not captured in the Fenton Thermos.
- Pariah Dark is one of the largest ghosts to appear in the series.
- Pariah Dark was stated to wield "omnipotence" by Butch Hartman when wearing both the Ring of Rage and Crown of Fire, with the implication that he would have had near-infinite power.
Click here to view the gallery.